Monday, March 28, 2011

Lake Poinsett

From an email forwarded to me, Saturday March 26, 2011. For those that can't make it to the lake right now, read on...

Was cold again last night out here at the lake. Really hasn't been any melting at all the past couple of days. I am thinking that has got to help. But water is still flowing like crazy into the lake!

I drove all the way around the lake yesterday. You can tell the homeowners that can't get out here that the lake is still frozen (as you can see by my pictures). In fact by the Methodist Camp and also by Prestrudes people are actually out there ice fishing! Only open water I saw was by the inlets. Now, I am not the smartest guy out here at Poinsett, but it sure APPEARED to me that the ice was rising along the shoreline in some spots. It looked like the ice was bulging in spots and pushing the sand up in other places. Now again, take it for what it's worth because it's coming from me ok! LOL

A lot (not all) of the cabins still have a lot of snow drifts around them.....driveways are blocked...drifts between the cabins....and drifts preventing you from getting down to the lake. So some might need to bring a shovel if they plan on coming out this weekend. Roads leading to them are not in the best of shape. In some places roads are just so soft that any driving on them results in deep ruts that immediately fill with water....and then there are some roads that are flooded.

The Hamlin County road crew, Sheriff Dan Mack and his deputies, Emergency Management Dave Schafer and his crew, area fire departments, and of course Richard Smith all deserve a HUGE Thank You when this over. Yes, I know, they will all tell you they are just doing their job. But they have all gone way beyond the call of duty on this one! They are out there 24 hours a day.....and they actually have been...helping everyone in this area with the flooding problems. Where would we be without Dave Schafer and Richard Smith providing us those almost daily updates! For some of you that is the only link you have as to what is happening! I just really appreciate it that all these people are out there FOR US!

Sue, if anyone that can't get out here wants specific pictures of their place, just have them reply back to you and you can get me their addresses. I will go and take some pictures and forward them to you to get to them. I would enjoy doing that for them.....we are all Lake people....that's how we are out here!

Thanks for letting me ramble on and on and on.....LOL

Vic Erlacher

Click on image to see the LAKEVIEW website.

Click on image to see the LAKEVIEW website.
Winter Fireworks over Lake Poinsett